Because juicing is here to stay and is currently one of the most popular health trends on the planet, it stands to reason that there are some aspects of it that either require clarification or indeed, would be better avoided. The practice of healthy juicing is constantly evolving and there are several things that can take the experience from good to great.
So with this in mind, these tips for the best way to juice are designed in terms of specific things to do and not to do so that you can make healthy juicing even better. Also, individuals have a variety of reasons for wanting to add juicing to their lifestyle so be sure to filter these tips to your own requirements.
General Juicing Tips
- Make a plan that sets out when and where you will juice
- Be sure to wash all produce before juicing
- If you are using produce that is not organic, peel it
- Have a plan in place to store and transport your juice – assuming you won’t be at home to consume it
- Develop the habit of cleaning up preparation areas immediately after preparing produce for juicing
- After you are done using your juicer, be sure to disassemble and leave it to soak, or try cleaning it right away. Cleaning is way easier if you do this.
- Try to observe the following ratio as a rule of thumb: 4:2, green to pink, with 4 representing vegetables and 2 representing fruits.
- The best way to juice will always involve keeping a record of what you liked the best and also any juices you thought were less than stellar.
Be wary of adding strong or bitter produce to your juice, such as onion and garlic, as well as bitter greens. Go for ‘less’ until you are accustomed to the flavors.
Health Juicing Tips
- Read up on all the best practice information that you can find
- Use balance and variety wherever possible
- Find out which vegetables and fruits can help with any of your health issues
- If you are taking medication(s), always check first with your doctor to check if your medication will be affected by concentrated amounts of certain fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli and grapefruit for example
- Diabetics should stick to low low-sugar fruits such as limes, lemons, cranberries and rhubarb.
Discontinue prescribed medications unless your doctor says so
Weight Loss Juicing Tips
- If you decide to do a juice fast, find out what is going to be involved before you start
- Decide how you are going to accommodate your juice fast with things like travel, work and family
- Work out how you are going to transition yourself into and out of a juice fast. Cold turkey is not the best way to handle it if you are aiming to be successful.
- After you are done with your juice fast, think about and plan for what you are going to eat so you don’t undo all the good work you have achieved with weight loss
- Enjoy the adventure of experimenting with new tastes and juices
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that when you finish a juice fast, the weight you just lost will stay off if you go back to your old lifestyle
Financial Juicing Tips
- You will be purchasing more produce than usual
- Plan for larger grocery bills
- Buy a juicing machine that is in line with your budget
- Have fun planning to shop for smaller clothes as your healthy lifestyle kicks in
Social Juicing Tips
- Expect some negative feedback because not everyone agrees that juicing is a good thing, particularly if you are doing a juice fast
- Share your juices with family members for fun
- Stay positive by keeping your original goals for juicing handy
- Don’t preach about juicing but let your new lifestyle do the talking instead
- If you are travelling or attending work functions etc, be prepared so you don’t end up eating something you shouldn’t
The biggest ‘do’ of all involves accepting personal kudos for taking the initiative to improve your health through juicing. You have discovered the best way to juice that meets your individual health requirements while at the same time partaking of a positive addition to your lifestyle.